Dream Achiever Youth Organization (DAYO) and Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) are jointly implementing a one-year (March 2019 – February 2020) Value Based Education (VBE) Project in Mombasa County, Kenya. The shall work together in Mombasa County to support the Government of Kenya (GoK) to build the values-based education system which enables children and school communities to better relate to and interact with diverse people, ideas, beliefs and cultures. The Project is been funded by Porticus and AKF-UK through AKF East Africa Office.
AKF and DAYO proposes to work with schools/systems and communities to pilot materials and models as to enable greater learner, educator/teacher, parent, and community engagement, participation, leadership, and ownership and authorship of VBE, areas critical to successful integration/infusion of Value Based Education into the Competency Based Curriculum (CBC). The programme focuses on enhancing learners’ curiosity, imagination, resilience, and the capacity to respect and care about the well-being of themselves, their friends, families, communities and globally.
DAYO roles and responsibilities:
Dream Achiever Youth Organization agrees to promote pluralistic and ethical values through delivery of the assignment below;
1. Organisational Capacity
• Openly engage in an Organisational Capacity Assessment (OCA) and Institutional Strengthening Planning Process.
• Engage in agreed institutional strengthening opportunities as agreed under the OCA process.
• Integrate pluralism and ethics into organisational policies, processes, and programming.
• Enrol 10 members of the CSO to attend and complete the VBE training course.
2. Implementation of values-based community and school-based activities
• Develop values-based work plans and budgets, submitted to AKF for sign-off, for the delivery of all activities as agreed under the VBE agenda
• Deliver value-based community activities as per the work plan including household visits, community dialogue forums, and community events to raise awareness and promote and nurture positive values.
• Participate in school level meetings focused on planning, reviewing, and learning about VBE.
• Participate in school-community meetings for example, Board of Management meetings to ensure the issues of pluralism and ethics is raised and discussed
• Develop strategies and mobilise resources to support the delivery of VBE at the community. This can include developing partnerships with local private institutions and philanthropic organisations.
• Collect stories from a diverse range of community members to inform the development of VBE audio visual and Information Education Communication (IEC) materials for distribution and use to schools and communities
• Ensure the effective distribution and use of the IEC materials in public community settings.
4. Accountability and learning
• Participate in joint M&E support visits on VBE implementation
• Collect, manage, and share all data as agreed with AKF
• Provide activity and quarterly reports on progress based on the agreed value-based work plan.
Capacity & Readiness Assessment
DAYO will participate in external capacity and readiness assessment conducted jointly to gather with AKF, Ministry of Education (MoE) and Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD).